Smoke fills unit after food left on stove

January 02, 2018

A 56 year-old Deniliquin man was treated for smoke inhalation after a kitchen fire filled his George St unit with smoke on Thursday afternoon.

The man is believed to have left food cooking on the stove when he fell asleep.

NSW Fire & Rescue Deputy Captain Les Booth said the man was woken by his smoke alarm, just after 3.30pm.

‘‘There was a lot of smoke damage to the unit, but thankfully little fire damage,’’ Deputy Capt Booth said.

‘‘After being woken by the alarm the man was able to remove himself from the unit, with the help of some neighbours.’’

Deniliquin Ambulance NSW inspector of service delivery, southern sector Bruce Purves said the man was treated by a paramedic at the scene, before being transferred to Deniliquin Hospital in a stable condition for further observation.

Deputy Capt Booth says the incident is a timely reminder to never leave food cooking unattended.

He also warned that water should not be used to douse a cooking fire.

‘‘The best thing to do is put a lid over the fire, or a fire blanket.

‘‘You should never use water as it could flare the flames.’’

More in Deniliquin Pastoral Times
Login Sign Up

Dummy text