News

Victim’s snake warning

by
February 02, 2018

It has taken a few weeks for Kellie Banks to fully recover from what could have been a more serious snake bite suffered in the backyard of her Mathoura home.

Struck by the baby brown at the end of December, Mrs Banks said she was a little shocked the snake had come so close to where she and her friends and family were hosting a celebration.

She said her ordeal should serve as a warning to other residents that snakes can be unpredictable.

‘‘You just need to be cautious.

‘‘I was bitten about 11.30pm when our group of 12 was making a huge amount of noise.

‘‘It certainly wasn’t put off by our singing,’’ Mrs Banks joked.

It took Mrs Banks at least half an hour to discover the sharp pain she felt that night was actually caused by a snake.

‘‘I was sitting on the ground patting the dog, and I felt something on my leg,’’ she said.

‘‘At first I thought it was ants but about half an hour later I noticed the small snake.

‘‘We didn’t realise at first what type of snake it was, but my husband started stomping on it.

‘‘After we thought it was dead we placed it in a whisky glass, but it came back to life. Then we killed it properly.

‘‘Ten minutes later I felt another pain and we quickly called the ambulance.’’

Ambulance paramedics arrived within 10 minutes, and Mrs Banks was rushed to Deniliquin Hospital where she was administered brown snake anti-venom.

‘‘I remained completely calm; even the doctor noticed how calm I was.

‘‘Despite that, the venom still had an effect on my body as my jaw locked and I could barely see.

‘‘Luckily my meditation, exercises and the anti-venom helped.’’

While she suffered some illness from the anti-venom, Mrs Banks said the only lingering reminder of her ordeal now is the puncture wounds made by the snake.

By
More in Deniliquin Pastoral Times
Login Sign Up

Dummy text