A small grassfire destroyed a small shed on an Old Racecourse Rd property at Deniliquin on Saturday.
Deniliquin Fire & Rescue Captain Martin Smith said the blaze is believed to have started due to a spark from an angle grinder.
He said his firefighters responded with two fire trucks just before midday, and also had assistance from two NSW Fire & Rescue tankers and their crews.
Capt Smith said extra precautions had to be implemented in fighting the blaze, with the small shed confirmed to have had asbestos cladding.
‘‘People were dismantling a shed damaged by the severe storms we had on January 25, using an angle grinder,’’ Capt Smith said.
‘‘A spark from the angle grinder started a grassfire, which spread to another nearby small timber framed shed which contained tyres and some other random items.
‘‘With the asbestos concern later identified we continued as per our procedures and we cordoned the area off.
‘‘After the blaze was out, the property was handed back to the owner who will need to employ a qualified contractor to remove the materials.’’
Capt Smith said given the two sheds are surrounded by formed roads, the existing breaks prevented the fire from spreading too far.
He said the total area burned measured only about 100m by 30m.
Firefighters were on scene for just over an hour.