News

Hot exhaust sparks fire

by
March 31, 2018

Less than a hectare of grassland was burned in a small fire in the Brassi and Rangemore area, about 40km west of Deniliquin on Tuesday.

The Brassi and Rangemore Rural Fire Service brigades had two fire appliances and four firefighters on the scene after receiving the call at 4.40pm. The fire was extinguished by 6.30pm.

The fire is believed to have been ignited by a motorbike’s hot exhaust.

●●●

RFS Mid-Murray District Assistant Terry Campbell is warning campers of the dangers of campfires ahead of the Easter weekend.

A fire which burned less than a hectare of bushland on the Murray River bank at Moama yesterday morning prompted the warning.

It is believed the blaze started when a campfire wasn’t properly extinguished.

‘‘It is very important for people to remember not to leave a campfire unattended or still burning when leaving your camping ground,’’ Mr Campbell said.

‘‘This fire should be a reminder to everyone to be careful when you are burning a campfire around bush area and we hope people do the right thing.

‘‘We have already had many reports of campfires that have not been put out properly and become a danger to surrounding environment.’’

By
More in Deniliquin Pastoral Times
Login Sign Up

Dummy text