News

No current KFC plans

by
May 01, 2018

KFC Australia says it has ‘‘no current plans for a new restaurant in Deniliquin’’, despite a petition encouraging the company to reopen its local outlet.

A petition to encourage KFC to reopen the store which closed eight years ago has almost reached its goal of 200 signatures.

The online petition on change.org has gained traction locally with 193 people showing their interest in bringing the store back.

The petition highlighted that the town’s appetite for the fast food has not disappeared since the local store closed in 2010, stating that locals have made countless trips to the closest store in Echuca.

KFC was first opened in Deniliquin in 1992 and operated by David and Marie Bird from the Bird Group, with the local store being the couple’s first KFC franchise.

However after 18 years of trading, it closed in December 2010.

Store owner David Bird said at the time the business had been ‘‘unviable for about 10 years’’, that he could no longer ‘‘prop up’’ the local franchise, and could not justify keeping it open any longer.

Responding to the petition, a KFC Australia spokesperson told the Pastoral Times ‘‘KFC is always looking for opportunities to grow and expand, but we have no current plans for a new restaurant in Deniliquin’’.

By
More in Deniliquin Pastoral Times
Login Sign Up

Dummy text