News

Best efforts fail to save home

By Deniliquin Pastoral Times

Moama's Steve Walker lost everything on Monday evening when a fire started at his Francis St home.

Despite best efforts by firefighters from Deniliquin, Moama and Echuca, it could not be saved.

Mr Walker had been repairing a lawn mower in his garage when sparks started the blaze about 6.15pm.

He atempted to extinguish the flames with two fire extinguishers, but it spread too quickly and soon engulfed the home. The roof later collapsed, further hindering firefighting efforts.

Fire crews worked for several hours blackening out the fire and protecting neighbouring homes; the last unit leaving about 10.30pm.

Murray River Police District and Murray River Council have since launched an appeal for donations for Mr Walker.

They are particularly asking for clothing for Mr Walker, with donations bins located at Moama Police Station.