A man accused of the 2016 murder of criminal lawyer Joe Acquaro has refused to face a Melbourne court.
After a "lengthy investigation", police charged Vincenzo Crupi, 69, with one count of murder after he allegedly gunned down the 54-year-old outside a Brunswick East cafe on March 15, 2016.
Mr Acquaro was shot dead as he walked to his car after closing his Gelobar cafe, with his body later found near the corner of Lygon Street by a rubbish truck driver.
He had represented a raft of prominent gangland figures in Victoria, had strong ties with Melbourne's Calabrian community and had been president of Melbourne's Italian Chamber of Commerce and the Reggio Calabria Club.
Crupi was due to face Melbourne Magistrates Court on Friday for a filing hearing after being charged with one count of murder earlier in the day.
However his lawyer told the court the Reservoir man did not want to come to court, and the matter was dealt with in his absence.
He said Crupi needed to see a doctor while in custody for "minor medical issues".
The court ordered for CCTV footage to be formatted, and for police to request a DNA report.
Crupi did not apply for bail and was remanded in custody to reappear in court on March 18 via video link for a committal mention.