Sport

Border Raiders take a big step towards a return

By Brayden May

MOAMA-ECHUCA Border Raiders juniors could soon be back in Bendigo Amateur Soccer League action, but the club’s senior teams will have to wait.

League officials have announced they are targeting a July 4 start for junior competitions, which would fall in the middle of the Victorian school holidays.

“We had previously targeted June 28 as a possibility for the juniors, but over the past week in discussion with our clubs, they felt more comfortable for a week later, which lands on July 4,” BASL president Aaron Shooter told the Bendigo Advertiser.

“The initial feedback we've had (regarding starting in school holidays) is that while there may be people who want to travel away, given the unusual circumstances we've had this is the first opportunity we've got to do something for the juniors and would allow for some extra games.

“We'll obviously be understanding if teams won't be able to participate on that weekend, but we want to set a date to work towards.”

Meanwhile, the weekend of July 25 and 26 looms as a potential starting date for senior competitions.

This comes after the Victorian Government announced full competition could resume for over 18s on Monday, July 20.

“These new parameters announced at the weekend push back a few weeks from what we were originally looking at for our seniors, so we will need to meet and discuss with our clubs what that means,” Shooter said.

“We've had a strong indication from the majority of senior clubs that they are willing to take part in the season that we proposed a couple of weeks ago, so we'll need to re-establish that commitment from the clubs based on the new dates.

“What the new dates do is put a bit of pressure on us at the back end of the season.

“What we had previously determined as a season length (based on a July 4 start) would have had us wrapped up clear of any summer sport starting but adding some extra weeks to that means we're going to start to crash into those dates.

“So, we'll have to see how the summer sports react to that. We've got access to enough facilities that don't share with other codes to be able to run a bit later, but we're mindful that we have players who play both winter and summer sport.

“We need to talk to the clubs about that and re-jig the calendar, so there's still a bit of work to be done.”

The Border Raiders could start full contact training from July 1 due to the easing of restrictions in NSW.

More sport news

Rochester Sports Museum to re-open

Community sport restart approaches

Double act combine at Echuca