National

Calombaris creditors, staff seek payment

By AAP Newswire

George Calombaris' collapsed food empire is likely to be placed into liquidation before a second creditors' meeting next month.

About 80 creditors attended an almost two hour-long meeting on Thursday with administrators of the 12 venues the celebrity chef put in their hands last week.

KordaMentha administrator Craig Shepard said a report on MadE Group's affairs will be released on March 10 and the next creditor's meeting will be on March 17.

The second sale of assets of Calombaris' former venues was also announced on Thursday.

The original Jimmy Grants premises at Fitzroy and the Jimmy Grants at Emporium in Melbourne CBD were sold to an existing CBD operator with decades of hospitality experience and a background in Greek cuisine.

These sales followed the asset sales and new lease transfers signed on Thursday for Calombaris' Hellenic Republic restaurants in Brunswick and Brighton and his Vita Ristorante in Kew.

Seven of the 12 Calombaris venues that stopped trading last week remain to be sold.

The purchasers of two of the venues sold on Wednesday were planning to contact former employees of the two restaurants to discuss new job opportunities.

The Victorian Trades Hall Council and the Migrant Workers Centre on Thursday called for employees caught up in the collapse to be paid their entitlements.

KordaMentha said they will assist former employees to access the Fair Entitlements Guarantee scheme for any unpaid entitlements upon liquidation.