National

No new WA virus cases, more tests planned

By AAP Newswire

More asymptomatic people will be tested by Western Australian authorities to confirm there is no community transmission of COVID-19 as the the state recorded no new cases.

About 3000 healthcare staff and other frontline workers have been swabbed under the government's DETECT Snapshot program.

From Wednesday, education staff involved in any function in a school setting, tourism sector staff and transport workers including truck, bus and train drivers, maritime workers and aviation staff will also be eligible for testing.

The two-week program ends on June 10.

Health Minister Roger Cook is urging any eligible workers to get tested after a modest take-up in the first week.

"By increasing the number of eligible people, we can have further confidence in support of the view that WA has no sustained community transmission," he said on Tuesday.

"This is a good opportunity to continue to promote the clinics and everyone, I hope, will take the opportunity to get themselves tested."

The government did not intend to make all asymptomatic people eligible for testing, he added.

WA's tally of 29 active cases includes four locals, five people from interstate and 20 crew from the Al Kuwait livestock vessel.

Two are in a non-critical condition in hospital and the rest are in hotel quarantine.

The Al Kuwait, which remains stranded at Fremantle Port after docking on May 22, had been due to transport 56,000 sheep to the Middle East.

The sheep are currently in a feedlot and transporting them will require a federal agriculture department exemption to the current ban on live exports to or through the Middle East.

"We're obviously really anticipating the (federal) government making its decision clear," Mr Cook said.

"We want them to get on with it."

A skeleton crew of 10 remain on board the vessel, which cannot leave Fremantle before June 13.

Seven port and quarantine workers who had contact with the ship have been swabbed for the virus but so far not tested positive.

From Saturday, pubs and restaurants will be allowed to seat up to 100 patrons per dining area.

Mr Cook said he had little sympathy for Victoria Park cafe Catalano's after it became the first hospitality business to be sanctioned for breaching the current 20-customer limit, copping a $5000 fine after several warnings.

"If people are going to flaunt the rules then police have to take action," he said.