Deniliquin High School has been a proud local option with many upgrades benefitting the secondary school students in recent years.
The students now benefit from many new and improved facilities including a music room, hospitality rooms, storage shed, ampitheatre, fencing and resurfacing of the basketball courts.
A designated Year 11 area was also completed and includes shade sails, murals and a garden.
The agricultural plot in Wirraway Drive is still one of the school’s most popular assets.
The Deniliquin High School, on the corner of Wellington and Harfleur Sts and also bounded by Henry and Junction Sts, was officially opened on February 20, 1957, three years after the site was purchased by the NSW Education Department.
Previously the site had been known as the Deniliquin Sports Ground and accommodated a number of local sporting groups.
The first classes were held at the new school in 1954 with J Williams as headmaster and nine other teachers.
At this stage, Deniliquin’s secondary classes were separated and the school’s population numbered 135.
In 1955 the science block was added but was barely equipped for the purpose.
The school changed in status to a secondary school in 1955 and Mr Williams was succeeded by Bert Farlow.
Two years later, Deputy Premier and Minister for Education, Mr RJ Heffron officially opened the school and major reconstruction work was carried out on the oval.
In 1958 it became officially classified as a full high school with the addition of a four room library block and a two-room needlework block.
By 1959, school enrolments had risen to 238 with a staff of 17.
The next major development occurred in 1966 with the addition of a new administration building.
A further four classrooms, home science block, canteen and toilet buildings were added soon after at a cost of $220,000.
In 1970 a grandstand, which had been part of the original sports ground, was demolished and a science, library, art and music wing was added.
The agricultural plot in Wirraway Drive was started in the same year, and in 1977 further developments at the school took place when a new library, science block and an industrial arts block were opened. During this time enrolments at the school reached record levels of more than 900 students.
At the end of 1989, after years of negotiations, construction of the school’s Multi Purpose Centre (MPC) was started.
The drama building, previously used as the old canteen, was knocked down.
The MPC was officially opened by then NSW Minister for Education Virginia Chadwick on August 20, 1990.
It includes an indoor sporting court, stage, toilets, kitchen and office facilities.
The MPC is a major part of the modern school.
An amphitheatre was constructed in 2006.
It was built by Year 12 students from the metal and engineering class and the colourful backdrop was created by visual arts students.
The arena-like seating arrangement can hold a capacity crowd of 200 people.
In 2012 the school administration block was upgraded to become more functional and to provide better access for community members.
In 2015 a new shade area was added to the oval side of the music room to provide protection for students and a shed was constructed to house the school’s bus.
Deni High is also wheelchair accessible with the construction of ramps and an elevator near the science faculty.
The school celebrates diversity and high achievement in the fields of academia, sporting pursuits and cultural enrichment activities.
Deni High is immensely successful in nurturing and educating its students and has consistently achieved outstanding results across all areas, particularly evident in HSC and NAPLAN achievements.
In 2019, the school’s top achiever earned an ATAR of 93.85 and Band 6 (90 to 100 per cent) results in mathematics and personal development, health and physical educations.
These results are not possible without the support of highly-qualified and knowledgeable teachers who invest their time and effort into their students.