Deniliquin Racing Club will not have to move its annual race meeting, following the announcement that the Melbourne Caulfield Cup will be run on its original date.
It was reported in May that Melbourne’s famous Spring Carnival was set for an unprecedented overhaul and a break of tradition with the Caulfield Cup possibly moving to November 28.
Racing Victoria decided against the request put forward by Melbourne Racing Club however, with the Caulfield Cup to go ahead on Saturday, October 17.
Deniliquin Racing Club president Russell Douglas said he was relieved by the news, with one of the club’s two annual meets planned specifically to coincide with the day.
Whether the Deni event can proceed, however, is yet to be confirmed.
‘‘We’re still waiting to see if we can have a crowd and actually hold our event,’’ Douglas said.
‘‘At least we do know that our meeting will still be able to be held on the same date if crowds are allowed though.
‘‘We need to get a gauge on how viable holding a race meeting will be.
‘‘We would have to increase health methods of extra sanitation, with or without a crowd.
‘‘The hardest thing for us and other smaller clubs is the cost for the health additions.
‘‘We are a volunteer run club, so that extra financial burden is hard to absorb.’’
Earlier this month Deniliquin and Tocumwal Racing Clubs made an application for compensation, to replace revenue lost on events cancelled as a result of Coronavirus restrictions.
The Deniliquin Racing Club was forced to cancel its Anzac Day race meet after public events were put on lockdown in mid-March.
Similarly, the Tocumwal Racing Club was forced to cancel its Easter Saturday event this year due to restrictions.